In February, I was challenged by the ladies of the Fleur de Lis group at the Woman's Club to present a program on Millennials. Since I
am definitely NOT a Millennial, it was a challenge. However, with a little research, and a LOT of help from my children, the ladies and I had a great time learning what Millennials really want in the workplace, and how a collaboration with the Baby Boomers can be a win/win for all! The etiquette rule of "kindness toward all" is a great start.
For those of you who do interact with Millennials in your workplace, these are a few of the tips I learned about collaborating with
them for a smoother run office or business.
- Millennials are very interested in Work/Life Balance
- They are not interested in doing things "the way they've always been done".
- They are used to speaking with anyone and everyone who can further their idea-even the CEO.
- They will "follow the boss" rather than being loyal to your company, if he/she leaves for another company. The leadership is of utmost
- importance to them.
- The salary can be secondary if other "perks" are available, such as a health plan or gym memberships paid for!
In other words, communication is the key for them!"